Oh man.
If you've failed to pay attention to the world of R&B, I would like to inform you that Brandy is back. Her album Human hits stores tomorrow.
I will be buying it so fast.
Despite the negative attention the tabloids have given her during the past few years (surprise, surprise), I never stopped liking her. I grew up in the 1990's and Brandy was it for me since "I Wanna Be Down", "Baby", "Best Friend"...all that, all that.
However, I think that what I most appreciated about Brandy was her overall image. She was different and not on the cusp of being a teenage sexed out sex robot. She was a good girl and a constant role model for me throughout my childhood. She was one part of why I've always opted to not do certain things. To not wear certain things. To not do certain things. Even if all of the other girls were doing certain things. Basically, I opted to be a good girl...just like Brandy. 'Cause Brandy was my girl.
Honestly, there weren't (and still aren't) an abundance of positive and successful female African-American stars on TV when I was growing up. It helps to see someone who looks like you doing something right and not doing something stereotypically stupid.Moesha was huge for me as well. I loved Moesha. OH. MY GOODNESS. I loved Moesha. (If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. It's so '90's. It's great.). There were lots of life lessons. Lots of boy/girl interaction to learn from. Nothing really explicitly sexual, but just enough so that I understood.
Between my mom and Moesha, I learned a lot about what growing up an African-American woman might be like. And man. Ma and Moesha were on ittttt.
But don't get me wrong. I'm not all about loving her image. I dig her music like WHOA. I recommend going back, back, back to 1994 when she first came out and then listen to alllll of her music from then to now. You won't. Be. Disappointed.
Anyway, Brandy's return makes me so happy. Because tomorrow...I will be buying Human so fast. And bumpin' it so loud.
Just thought I'd share.
- K. Rocka
0 comments:
Post a Comment